The NuVinci CVP variable planetary transmission is well suited for industrial sectors such as construction, marine, oil and gas, mining, and manufacturing. More than just a CVT, the variable planetary technology means that power can be connected many ways – enabling multiple powerpaths for summing, dividing, or managing powerflow. The NuVinci CVP enables power to shift smoothly and continuously with no abrupt changes between ratios.
A common challenge for pumps and compressors is to manage mass flow rates. For many applications, like heavy viscous fluids, fixed displacement pumps make it difficult to maintain mass flow as material properties or pressures change. By adding a NuVinci CVP to smoothly vary input speed, pump mass flow and pressure can be matched to the application, easily accommodating load variations while reducing power consumption.
The NuVinci CVP provides:
- A means to handle torque and speed variations by varying drive ratios and enabling power source optimization for best operating conditions
- Smooth launch under load from zero to process speed(s), with high torque capacity at low input speeds
- Smooth speed processing when inputs vary, by decoupling load from power source
- Variable speed/torque within forward speed ratios
- Variable power distribution to multiple outputs
- Splitting of power paths, providing higher capacity with a variable component
- Multiple modes of shifter actuation: manual, mechanically, electromechanical, and hydraulic/pneumatic
- Flexible, compact packaging with a variety of axial and concentric inputs and outputs
Compared to a Fixed Ratio drive, the NuVinci CVP:
Provides Energy Savings –
- Matches pump drive to actual system requirements, reducing energy consumption. Smaller drives consume less energy; avoiding overcharging systems with oversized drives eliminates bypass lines and control lines, and further reduces consumption.
Offers Improved Process Control –
- Accommodates small variations quickly by making smooth, continuous, small corrections - eliminating process/flow surges from control changes.
- Enables you to divide processes into different phases, to better match torque and speed to application requirements.
- Accommodates a variety of means for control and actuation, based on speed, torque, or specific process sensing.
Delivers Improved System Reliability –
- Provides varying pump speeds to match closely application needs, reducing pump wear, particularly bearings and seals.
- Durable and scalable rolling traction components draw on proven bearing durability processes and methods. Component lives are extended, as are maintenance intervals and support costs.