Harnessing wind, a renewable energy, to power businesses and communities is a worthy and challenging endeavor. Wind power, as an alternative to fossil fuels, is plentiful, renewable, widely distributed, clean and produces no greenhouse gas emissions during operation. However, making wind energy practical by maximizing efficiency while minimizing the cost of production has been difficult – until now.
A variable speed wind turbine using NuVinci technology is the best way to make wind energy practical. It increases the amount of electricity generated by operating at higher efficiency in all wind conditions, and alleviates fatigue loads caused by gusts. Outside of a wind turbine’s ideal speed, efficiency drops and NuVinci technology solves the problems at higher and lower wind speeds. It can also shift quickly enough to capture gusts, a difficult situation for existing wind turbines.
NuVinci CVP technology offers a solution that can make wind energy a more viable alternative resource by reducing the cost of energy produced. According to a report produced by the National Renewable Energy Laboratories, NuVinci technology can potentially reduce the cost of energy by 5.5% or more.
- Low-cost alternative to variable speed power electronics
- Smooth, seamless-shifting transmission that mechanically produces up to a 400% gear ratio range
- Captures gusts and varies rotor speed to optimize tip speed ratio at all velocities
- Increases power generation
- Significantly reduces cost of energy
- Enables use of permanent magnet or squirrel cage induction generators
- Eliminates maintenance prone slip rings