Off Road Power Sports - EV ATV
Owners of recreational vehicles and power sport equipment know what they want. They desire horsepower, durability and performance. Nothing else will do.
Power sports manufacturers, such as makers of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), have traditionally used rubber-belt CVT technology. As the market has become more sophisticated, consumers have demanded increased horsepower and functionality. Now, these rubber belt CVTs have essentially reached their inherent technological limits – they simply cannot survive the additional torque demands. In fact, rubber belt CVTs in high power ATVs have become a significant warranty problem across the industry.
NuVinci® technology provides a more durable, controllable alternative to rubber belt transmissions. The NuVinci CVP offers all the advantages of belt CVTs without the limitations of low torque capacity -- in a compact, sealed, low maintenance package that is protected from weather, dirt and abuse.
NuVinci technology offers responsive shifting with high torque capacity and maximum durability. It is a scalable, modular, low-cost platform technology capable of multiple applications.
- More durable, controllable alternative to rubber belt transmissions
- Seamless, responsive shifting over an infinite number of gear ratios
- Higher torque capacity
- Scalable design that can be used for a wide variety of applications in this power range
- Sealed, low-maintenance package protected from weather, dirt and abuse
- Easier and less costly to manufacture than other mechanical CVT technologies Does not require an automotive-level of electronic control for the ATV application
- Highly flexible power path and packaging options
Unlike conventional gear and clutch transmissions, the NuVinci CVP uses a set of rotating and tilting balls positioned between the input and output components of the transmission that adjust to vary the speed of the transmission. Tilting the balls changes their contact diameters and varies the speed ratio. As a result, the NuVinci CVP offers a seamless and continuous transition to any ratio within its range in a compact, easy to manufacture and cost effective package that improves system performance.
See a video demonstration and comparison test of the increased torque and towing capacity of an electric utility vehicle equipped with a NuVinci continuously variable planetary transmission. Play Video (on YouTube).