On Road Drivetrain - Conventional
The CVT has been around for more than 100 years. Until recently, it was reserved primarily for industrial applications. The automotive industry has long understood the need for a versatile CVT, but technical limitations – high cost, lack of scalability, poor durability and high weight – have slowed widespread adoption of traditional CVT technology for automotive. NuVinci CVP technology offers design engineers the game-changing platform to finally make CVTs practical for the automotive industry.
The NuVinci CVP addresses these issues. It is infinitely scalable, costs much less to manufacture and is more durable than traditional CVTs. NuVinci technology uses the same basic production tooling to scale across a vehicle manufacturer’s entire vehicle lineup, potentially creating an order-of-magnitude production cost advantage over other CVTs.
Unlike conventional transmissions that have a fixed number of gear ratios, NuVinci CVP technology offers an unlimited range of ratios, or output speeds, between their highest and lowest limits. The NuVinci CVP is a transmission that provides a smooth, continuous progression from one speed to another through an infinite number of ratios between its highest and lowest speeds. The transmission output speed changes, with no jarring or shocks from the shifting process, while the engine or motor operates at its speed of peak efficiency or power. Finally, its packaging advantages, stable control and torque capacity enable new opportunities for fuel economy improvements not previously available in traditional vehicle applications.
- Seamless shifting over an infinite number of ratios
- Faster acceleration with better fuel economy than stepped ratio transmissions
- Easier to control than traditional CVTs
- Accepts multiple inputs while varying speed and managing torque
- Provides multiple power outlets for power take off (PTO) applications
- Inline output and input shafts for ease of packaging
- More compact, less complex and more durable than traditional CVTs
- Easier and less costly to manufacture than traditional CVTs
- Greater scalability across product lines with potential to reuse tooling than traditional CVTs
Unlike conventional gear and clutch transmissions, the NuVinci CVP uses a set of rotating and tilting balls positioned between the input and output components of the transmission that adjust to vary the speed of the transmission. Tilting the balls changes their contact diameters and varies the speed ratio. As a result, the NuVinci CVP offers a seamless and continuous transition to any ratio within its range in a compact, easy to manufacture and cost effective package that improves system performance.